Weaverville Fire Department Support Services

Minutes, Meeting April 2, 2014 5:30 p.m.

125 Bremer Street


I.                 Call to Order/Introductions – Called to order by President, Tina Scott at 5:30 p.m.  Officers present: President Tina Scott, Vice-President Bonnie Miller, Secretary Lisa Guglielmina, Treasurer Marjie Watkins, and Logistics Tania Alvord.  Members present: Elizabeth, Larry H., Betty, Ted, Briana, Scott, Serena, Bonnie E., Herk, and Bob.


II.               Approve Minutes of March 5, 2014: MSC L. Horrocks/T. Alvord to approve the minutes of the March 5, 2014 meeting.


III.              Reports:

A. Treasurer: (Marjie) – No expenses this month – report remains at $859.39 in expenditures for 2013/2014 year.

B. Events: (Tina) – Tina and Lona Davis attended a recruitment and retention seminar – A committee of Recruitment and Retention has been formed and the committee will meet the last Thursday of every month at 5:30 p.m. – anyone interested in being a part of that committee is welcome to come.


IV.             Action Items:

A. Easter Egg Hunt/Fund Raiser (April) (Ted and Lisa) – The Easter egg hunt is well on its way.  Any more contributions to the gift basket – leave with Lisa. 

B. Children’s Festival (May) (general discussion) – Children’s Festival is on May 17th this year.  This will be the debut of the State Farm Fire Safe House.  Sometime in early May, we will need help painting the house and preparing it for the festival.  Also, need some help during the festival.

C. Mother’s Day Roses (May) (Ted) – Ted will order the roses at the end of April – will use vases for dozens and sleeves for singles.

D. Bingo (June) (Vicki and Marjie) – April 9th is bingo practice at 6:30 p.m.

E. Muster Practices (July) (Tina) – Muster meeting will be April 9th at 6:00 p.m.  Discussion on having an apparatus show, kid’s section, and bake sale on July 6th.  A sign-up sheet was passed around for these events.  Larry Brown will inform the participating departments of the rules for the muster.  

F. Open House Recruitment (Larry H.) – Larry H. attended the Spring Fling at THS and 6 high school students signed up to be in the explorer program.  Flyers are up at Tops market.  Q-97 is willing to announce anything we need – Larry H. will be the contact for announcements.  Discussion on: different clubs in Weaverville to participate in recruitment/targeting girls to join/ISO ratings/Soroptimist for scholarships for girls/inviting teachers to a ‘tea’/Safer Grant will pay for a billboard/providing a plaque for businesses who support the volunteers or who employ volunteers. (THS can make plaques).


V.               Unit Reports:

A.  Logistics: (Tania) – Live Fire at the Mill went very well; items suggested to have on hand – packets of mayo/mustard, water carrier for taking drinks to f.f/2 more containers for food and supplies/2 canopies.

B.  EMS Support: (Serena) – Medical bags are now complete and consistent.

C.  Maintenance: (Bonnie M.) – Tania will ask the garden club to help clean out and beautify the flower beds around station one.  Bonnie M. suggested having a vegetable garden at station two to use in our dinners for meeting nights.

D.  Technology: (Lisa) – Mike doing an excellent job at keeping the website updated and beautiful!

E.   Public Events/Education: (Lisa) – Vase drive going very well.  Would like the Support Group to get together sometime for a group picture in our s.s shirts.


VI.             Open Forum and Topics for Next Meeting: Discussion on the meetings always short for time – suggested to change the meeting time to 5:00 p.m. MSC Watkins/McCall to change the regular meeting of the Weaverville Fire Department Support Services to 5:00 p.m. still on the first Wednesday of every month.


VII.            Adjourn:  There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 6:29 p.m.