Regular Meeting –December 7, 2010


           I.               CALL TO ORDER: The Regular Meeting of the Weaverville Fire Protection District was called to order by Chairman Steve Howard at 1700 hours.  Members present: Steve Howard, Bill Britton, Mike Williams Larry Helsley and George Owen.  Member absent: None.  Others present: Chief Alvord, Firefighter McMillan, Sleeper Hamilton and Clerk Marjie Maddox.


         II.               CONSENT AGENDA:

A.     Approve Minutes of Regular Meeting November 2, 2010 and Special Meeting Minutes of November 18, 2010 –

B.     Approve Warrant List and Journal Entries MSC: Helsley/Britton to approve consent agenda as presented.



A.         Nominations/Elections of Chairman – MSC: Helsley/Britton to nominate Steve Howard to serve as Chairman.  MSC: Williams/Owen to nominate Bill Britton to serve as Chairman.  No other nominations were made.  Vote unanimous, nominations closed.  Bill Britton will serve as Chairman for the term of 2011

B.         Nominations/Elections of Vice Chairman – MSC: Owen/Britton to nominate Larry Helsley to serve as Vice-Chairman.  No other nominations were made.  Vote unanimous, nominations closed.  Larry Helsley will serve as Vice-Chairman for the term of 2011.

C.         Set Date, Time and Place of Regular Meeting for 2011 – MSC: Williams/Helsley to change the meeting time to 4:00 pm on the first Tuesday of each month.  Vote unanimous.  Keep the same meeting date as the first Tuesday of each month and change the meeting time from 5:00 pm to 4:00 pm.


       IV.               CLOSED SESSION:

A.    (Government code section 54957: Public Employment) Title: Interim Fire Chief/Marshal – Chairman Howard read closed session item and asked for public comments.  No public comments.  Entered into closed session at 1706 hours.


         V.               REPORT ON CLOSED SESSION: (Government code section 54957.1 (b)) – Returned from closed session at 1718 hours.  Chairman Howard report the board discussed compensation, terms of employment and they came to an agreement.


       VI.               ACTION ITEMS:

A.         Discuss/Approve – Resolution 10-3 establishing and implementing a program to charge mitigation rates for the deployment of emergency services by the fire district for service provided/rendered for the Weaverville Fire Protection District – The board reviewed the resolution package again.  Mr. Helsley reported the committee met and recommended keeping the billing in-house for a number of reasons.  There was discussion regarding billing in house opposed to billing through Fire Recovery, and discussion regarding the ordinance process if any of our rates are updated.  The process of billing insurance companies directly was discussed.  This item was tabled to the next regular meeting pending a procedure of how to accomplish getting information to do billing and the mechanism of billing.

B.         Discuss/Approve – Trinity Contract for the warning beacon – The District has yet to receive a contract from the County regarding the warning beacon.  Action item is to be removed from the agenda until the County provides us with an updated contract for approval.

C.         Discuss/Approve – Quote from Campora to switch propane company- Action item was tabled until the next regular meeting pending a quote from both propane companies including rates.

D.         Discuss/Approve – Drafted letter from Kevin Cahill of State Farm to ISO – Chairman Howard reported he attended a meeting with Mr. Cahill regarding the ISO ratings in the areas surrounding Lewiston and Douglas City.  These areas are a 9, State Farm will not issue any new policies unless the ISO is an 8, and Mr. Cahill believes that our new mutual aid agreement may be able to lower the ISO rating.  Mr. Cahill believes that letters from Lewiston and Douglas City fire should suffice; a letter from the Weaverville Fire District is not needed at this time.

E.         Discuss/Approve – Declare District cell phone surplus – Cell phone can not be declared surplus due to the phone being required to be returned to U.S. Cellular to have our cancellation fee waived.



A.         Hazardous Reduction Progress Report: Mr. McMillan reported he will make a presentation next month at the Chiefs meeting.  Firestorm has been working for 6 weeks and completed 12 sites they have 14 sites to do.  They have identified at risk neighborhoods within Weaverville and will talk to the home owners and RCD about reducing their fuels.  The new Title III grant was approved; we are just waiting for the contract to get signed so we can start getting reimbursed for work that has already been completed. 

B.         Fire Chief/Marshal’s Report: Chief Alvord Report:

Inspections – walked through the mill and observed a hydro test, several areas were deficient, hydrant has been brought up, a connection was added and the tree and bushes in front of the hydrant have been removed.  Fire Inspection at Behavioral Health.

Vehicles – 2103 rear tires were replaced, 2111 valves are stiff looking into a way to get them workable. 

Meetings – Western Propane gas live fire training has been offered at no cost to the TCCA, a minimum of 100 students must be enrolled, they are asking for a legal agreement; Chief Alvord will seek Legal Advisor Hammers approval.  Chief Alvord is looking into inviting other agencies and Colleges to try and fill the class.

Misc – Annual awards banquet and helicopter memberships have been dropped to accept our budget and will be reviewed at our mid budget review.

Department – Bench testing will start next month, upcoming flood training, Apparatus/Operator training class has been going well and is almost complete,

C.         Sleeper Program Reports: Sleeper Hamilton reported he found a few leaking in the ceiling during the last storm; they are coming in through the screw heads in the roof.  Sleeper Hamilton reported that he found someone in the back of the Decon vehicle, Mr. Masterman was contacted, nothing was missing, he bungeed the back door closed from the inside to detour anyone from opening the door and getting into it again.

D.         Committee Reports

a.     Recruitment Committee – Mr. Britton reported they have recruited a new Interim Fire Chief.

b.     Collections Committee – None

c.      Contract Committee – None

d.     Director Reports – Chairman Howard reported Cola increases will be added to the next regular meeting agenda.  Mr. Owen thanked Mr. Howard for being a Chairman this year.




V.              CORRESPONDENCE:


VII.     ADJOURNMENT:  There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 1822 hours.


Approved: January 3, 2011




______________________________                  _____________________________

         Bill Britton, Chairman                                            Marjie Maddox, Clerk