Fire units from Weaverville Fire Department and CalFire responded to an early Monday morning fire at 105 Hawthorne Street. The fire was initially reported at 0350 by the resident as a vegetation fire threatening structures.  The first Captain from WFD reported an out building well involved with fire extending into the vegetation.  The fire was quickly knocked down by the first Weaverville Engine on scene. A Cal Fire Engine and second Weaverville Engine arrived to assist with final extinguishment and overhaul.  All units cleared the scene at 0530.


The fire was determined to have been caused by hot ash that had been removed from the wood stove on Saturday afternoon.  The ash was placed outside in a pile in the yard and eventually ignited the surrounding vegetation and one side of the shed.  Residents are reminded to place ash from a fire place or wood stove in a metal can.


Scott Alvord, Interim Fire Chief from Weaverville reminds residence that even though we are getting cooler weather the vegetation will still readily burn.  Please continue to use extreme caution with any hot material in the wildland area.